Friday, May 16, 2008

Mostly Normal


I asked the Queen Vee what I should post this week, since there wasn't much happening.  That, she said, is what you should tell your readers - much of your life is beginning to return to normal.  It's true.

Without the PEG sticking out of my stomach, I can now dress normally and twist my torso from side to side without fear of damage.  I am taking in all nourishment now by mouth, but am still somewhat limited in what I can eat.  My throat is still quite sore, so soft foods and cold foods are best for me.  Spicy things and stuff that requires a lot of chewing are still off limits.

With no PICC Line from my left tricep into my heart, I can now bathe without having to wrap my arm in plastic bags, and we no longer have to clean the exposed end of the line twice a day.  I also no longer have to go to NNMC each Monday to have the dressing around the PICC line changed.

With the alien tubes no longer coming out of my body, I made the decision to return to our health club for the first time since before Christmas.  I have lost about 40 pounds over the course of cancer therapy, most of it muscle mass as well as from my rear end as described earlier.  It felt really good to begin to use the many machines at Fitness First, although I knew that I had to start with about half the weight that I used to use.  As Chairman Mao once said, "Every journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."  This week I took that step with visits to the club on Saturday, Tuesday and Thursday.

Thanks to the Queen, my weight is remaining pretty stable.  The docs would like to have me gain some weight before the 9 June neck surgery, so we're working on that.  They don't want me to go back on Coumadin until after that surgery, since it takes time to keep the blood thinner properties working.  Therefore, I still have to inject myself twice each day in the stomach with Lovenox, another blood thinner with less volatility than Coumadin.  I will be happy when I no longer have to self-inject and I have new found empathy and respect for all those diabetics who have been giving themselves insulin shots daily.

Without having to use the heavy-duty pain killers any longer, I am now able to drive myself around to run errands and go shopping.  That was particularly important when I had to buy some new trousers, to replace those whose four inch wider waistline were falling off of me.  Despite the weight loss, trust me when I tell you this is not the type of diet you want to try...

So, things here have begun to settle back into some sort of new normal.  And, as Martha would say, "That's a good thing."

Thanks to the all of you who have written to say how pleased you are with my progress and that your prayers remain with me and my family.  The odds are still 69-31% that throat and neck cancer will return within the five year waiting period, so I need all the help I can get.

But you know, the weather forecast around here often says 70% chance of showers.  I read that as 30% chance that the golf game is still on.  Someplace has to get the good odds, why not the golf course?  Why not the 39% good odds for me?

I'll see you on the high ground!

5 comments:

joan said...

IT'SO GREAT TO HAVE YOU BACK IN THE LAND OF NORMAL, BUT SINCE YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN HERE WOULD YOU LIKE A GUIDE TO SHOW YOU AROUND?
GLAD LIFE IS GETTING BETTER AND YOU ARE HOLDING YOUR OWN IN THE WEIGHT DEPARTMENT. REMEMBER TO WEAR CLOTHS THAT FIT TO THE GYM SO YOU DON'T SCARE ANYONE WITH YOUR LOST BUTT.
YOU ARE ALWAYS IN OUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS
THE MOSBY STREET GANG

Tobi said...

Showers that don't include plastic wrap? Semi-normal food? The very last piece of Cylon technology is being removed too? What is this strange new land you've brought us to Kernal Ken?

Jim said...

Excellent news on removal of all the tubing. I know you are happy with that!!
Will keep praying for you.

Matt said...

You are being assimilated to the land of the normal. Welcome back!

Rachelle said...

Hi Uncle Ken!

I am so glad to hear that you are doing so well and living a somewhat "normal" life again. Your positive attitude and determination are amazing! You are my hero.