Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Back Country


Hi all,

I guess the title should actually be "Back From the Country."

The Queen and I recently travelled to Music City for a chance to visit with our friends Dan and Sandy McG.as well as to accomplish one of my cancer goals, to make it to the annual mini-reunion of the West Point Class of 1966.  For those possibly not "in the know," Music City is sometimes known as Nashville.

First good deal of the trip was that we got to try out my new Acura TL on the highways of America.  It got 30 miles to the gallon and accelerates like crazy compared to the Honda Accords that I have been driving for the last ten years.  A very comfortable, quiet ride with all sorts of extra technology such as hands free devices and XM Satellite Radio, a trip computer, tire pressure indicators and a whole lot more.  It was my birthday present.


Second good deal was to stay in Castle McG (last name omitted in honor of the Anderson Zoo who always reminds us about Personal Security).  Theirs is a truly beautiful home of over 9000 square feet, four garages, two full kitchens, a theater, a wine cellar, an elevator and rooms/baths to house the better part of an Army battalion.  Staying with them was like visiting with the real Queen in Windsor Castle.



Next treat was to reach my goal of hanging with my classmates around some great food and music as well as on the golf course.  My two best friends from West Point, Jim D. and Mike F., made it to this reunion, both saying that they wanted to see how I was doing. Mike brought his wife, Mary, shown with the Queen below, while Jim's wife, Jeanette, an ordained minister, had other obligations and couldn't join us.  Jim is the CEO of Action Ministries while Mike is the retired CEO of Sprint Local.

Golf with Dan was at the very exclusive Governor's Club, while Reunion golf was on a Tom Fazio course as well as a  Jack Nicklaus signature course.  All three places were what we golfers call "superb tracks."  My golf game was less so, but I can still hit the ball, something that was in serious doubt before my neck surgery.



My classmates who set this reunion up did a wonderful job, renting the entire Country Music Hall of Fame for a catered dinner, getting a top Nashville song writer and background player for our entertainment and even a private concert by Vince Gill.  We didn't pay all the freight for a lot of this, and the generosity of our local classmates underwrote much of the golf and entertainment expenses.  These guys are Great Americans!

Sorry I've been absent for a while, but thought you might like to know where I've been.
High ground indeed!  Thanks for your prayers and support.

6 comments:

Apis Melliflora said...

Ken, you look so happy in the picture with your friends from West Point. I'm so happy that you made that reunion. I do so enjoy a good reunion.

Thanks also for the picture of The Palace McG. Spectacular!

Anonymous said...

Good hearing from you again. Also, loved the castle-nice house or as my kids would say too bad about that one. You did look great in the pic with you and classmates. In fact you looked better then they did. Also liked the car. Glad you got all the fun gadgets. So that is what the high ground looks like-- am on my way (but I'll keep my orange car)

The Dragonfly said...

Dad,
You and the Queen both look exceptionally great in these photos! Glad to see you had such a great time.
Sam.

Suzanne C said...

Glad to "read" you back! I am one of your regular lurkers (if that's even a word!) When you have the opportunity, I (and the loved ones I share your blog with) would love to hear your opinion on all things McCain/Palin related. What do you think of the Wall Street Bailout?

Sue said...

Holy Hannah, who has to clean that house? What a fun place to be a guest.

So you've changed teams, eh? We've loved our trusty old Accords. We drove a 1986 until the engine finally seized at 306,000 miles and our 1987 and 1989 Accords are still going strong for us at 220,000 miles and 186,000 miles. They're paid for, but certainly don't have much get-up-and-go. There's nothing quite like sitting in a new, totally plush car with lots of bells and whistles.

You're looking great! I trust it's the Queen's cooking that is whipping you back into shape.

Love you guys!

Tobi said...

Truly a palace fit for the queenie. Your new car looks like a lot of fun. I love Acura because they are always ahead of the technology curve.